BREAKING NEWS

AFRICA

Sudanese Migrants’ Killed In Libya

 

 

Photo credit: IOM

Three Sudanese migrants were shot dead on Monday night after their boat was intercepted by the Libyan coastguard and they had been returned to shore.

The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) says that the local authorities opened fire when the migrants attempted to escape from the disembarkation point at AI Khums.

 

The migrants were among 70 disemberking from a vessel that was intercepted and sent back by the Libyan coast guard.

 

Two people were killed on the spot, while a third later died in hospital.

The IOM reiterated its call to the European Union and the international community to end the return of vulnerable people to Libya.

 

“The use of excessive violence results yet again in the senseless loss of life, amid a lack of action to change a system that often fails to provide any degree of protection,” IOM Libya chief Federico Soda said in a statement.

Source: BBC


Severe Hunger Looms in Southern Africa

Photo credit: Eatout.co.za

A regional bloc consisting of 16 nations has warned of impending hunger for about 45 million people in southern Africa which will be caused by droughts, floods and coronavirus.

 

The Southern Africa Development Community (Sadc) said restrictions on movement due to coronavirus contributed to the hardship faced by the urban poor.

 

the economy of the region has suffered a decline due to high unemployment rate, closure of businesses and poor remittances.

 

People tend to survive by selling household items in order to feed.

 

An estimated eight million children are predicted to become acutely malnourished this year.

 

Furthermore, inability of government to recall children to school due to COVID-19 implied that more than 20 million children are missing out of school meals.

 

BBC


COVID-19 will claim about 190,000 lives in Africa unless it is contained – says WHO

 

 

By Juliana Uzoka

The World Health Organization (WHO) Regional Office for Africa, says Africa will experience a surge in deaths of up to 190,000 people within the first year of coronavirus pandemic if containment measures fall below expectation.

WHO Regional Office, in addition, estimated that about 29 million to 44 million Africans could get infected with COVID-19 within the same period. The prediction was based on a research modelling that analyzed 47 countries in the WHO African Region with a total population of one billion.

WHO in a statement published on its website said the findings of the new study was made available during its Africa media Leader virtual press conference in Brazzaville on the 7th May 2020.

The report explained that the new estimates are based on the adjustments that determined the risk factor of transmission and disease severity by patterns liable to change from country to country in order to adapt to the nature of the region.

It said the findings indicate a “slower rate of transmission, lower age of people with severe disease and lower mortality rates compared to what is seen in the most affected countries in the rest of the world.”

According to the report, the pattern reflects the experience benefitted from other behavioural patterns during the control of communicable diseases such as HIV and tuberculosis to reduce the incidence of transmission.

WHO Regional Director for Africa, Dr Matshidiso Moeti, said COVID-19 could pose a challenge for African countries by not flattening the curve in several years, due to lack of “proactive approach” by governments in the region. She advocates that more needs to be done in terms of testing, contact tracing and treatment.

 

It said the study also revealed that smaller African countries such as Algeria, South Africa and Cameroon were likely to be most affected if their governments fail to prioritize containment measures.

It suggests that: “Containment measures, which include contact tracing, isolation, improved personal hygiene practices and physical distancing aim to slow down the transmission of the virus so its effects happen at a rate manageable by the health system,” should be adopted.

it said what is required is lifestyle changes in the way people work, socialize and live which should, by all means, include avoiding unnecessary contacts to stop transmission.

“The importance of promoting effective containment measures is ever more crucial, as sustained and widespread transmission of the virus could severely overwhelm our health systems…Curbing a large scale outbreak is far costlier than the ongoing preventive measures governments are undertaking to contain the spread of the virus,” says Dr Moeti.

“The predicted number of cases that would require hospitalization would overwhelm the available medical capacity in much of Africa. There would be an estimated 3.6 million – 5.5 million COVID-19 hospitalization, of which 82,000 – 167,000 would be severe cases requiring oxygen, and 52,000 – 107,000 would be critical cases requiring breathing support. Such a huge number of patients in hospitals would severely strain the health capacities of countries,” it further stated.

The research, however, recommends African governments to expand capacity for well-equipped hospitals, especially the primary healthcare hospitals to ensure that basic care is included in their primary health systems.


Africa Union Demands End to Coronavirus ‘Stigma’ of Africans In China

By Niyi Maralysa

The African Union on Saturday expressed its “extreme concern” about the situation in Guangzhou over the inhuman treatment on Africans over coronavirus pandemic.

Africans are battling stigma and discrimination in district of Guangzhou, China, over the coronavirus pandemic, apparently linked to a cluster of cases in the Nigerian community in the city.

The African residents say they have suffered forced evictions, arbitrary quarantines and mass coronavirus tests and face discrimination in restaurants and hotels.

Nigerian Foreign Minister, Geoffrey Onyeama on Tuesday told Chinese ambassador Zhou Pingjian that the situation was “unacceptable” to Nigeria’s government and people, and demanded “immediate action” from the Chinese authorities.

Diplomats said around 20 African countries are drawing up a joint letter to Beijing to say that mass virus tests and quarantines imposed specifically on Africans amount to “racism”.

Source: Yahoo news

%d bloggers like this: